1. HABITAT Retro TEAK+METAL Side TABLE Robin Day/Modernist – Item number 160391674961
2. GORDON RUSSELL RETRO OFFICE CHAIR BLACK/CREAM LEATHER – Item number 320470201845
3. GENUINE VINTAGE BERTOIA DIAMOND CHAIR – Item number 160392218383
4. Original Parker Knoll Table 1970’s/1980’s design – Item number 130361245977
5. Retro Arkana Tulip Side Table – Item number 220545805490
6. Modernist Danish Teak NEST OF TABLES Denmark 1960s – Item number 290392223393
This legendary venue was first opened by Auguste Kettner, chef to Napoleon III in 1867. Its recent refurbishment plays off the frisson of its proximity to the theatres… back to when it started, so conveniently situated next to the stage doors when it was a favourite of Edward VII and Lillie Langtry and Oscar Wilde.
My favourite room has to be ‘The Apartment’ with its wooden wall paneling along with the decorative geometric ceiling. All the individual pieces of retro furniture in the different corners of the room create a real residential feel to the bar, a bit like going out but feeling like you are still in the comfort of your own home – my perfect night!
Highlights include the Warren Platner side table and matching grey Panton Cone Chairs and comfy Le Corbusier style sofas.
Posted in Inspirational Interiors
Tagged bar, dining, furniture, kettners, le corbusier, mid century modern, private members bar, restaurant, retro, verner panton, warren platner
Like no chain of hotels I have ever seen or heard of before, the Ace Hotels are a must destination for any design enthusiast. The hotels are the creation of design team Robin and Williams and are located across the US. These hotels are full of salvaged, vintage and retro pieces with each room completely unique. Actions, or should I say pictures, speak far louder than words so I will leave you to enjoy the pics!
1. Rare Eames Sideshell Chair for Herman Miller – Item number: 330352963646
2. Vintage Black Metal Industrial Desk – Item number: 160356469338
3. Retro Arkana Teak Sling Arm Chair – Item number: 270443609996
4. Charles Pollock Chair for Knoll – Item number: 280385310091
5. Ladderax Storage System – Item number: 270442043127
6. 1950s G Plan Coffee Table – Item number: 190328387024
Posted in Ebay Picks
Tagged 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, arkana, charles pollock, eames, ebay, furniture, interior design, knoll, ladderax, mid century modern, retro, vintage
In no particular order, here are some inspirational interior shots featuring retro pieces from the Sneek Peeks section on Design*Sponge
Design*Sponge is a brilliant American daily website dedicated to home and product design run by Brooklyn-based writer, Grace Bonney. Launched in August of 2004, Design*Sponge features things such as diy projects, before & after furniture and home makeovers.
The site is updated constantly throughout the day (with an average of 6-10 posts a day), and attracts a core group of devoted readers. Design*Sponge currently has 43,000 daily readers and over 35,000 readers reading via RSS!
Not bad, but it still has some way to go before it catches T.F.C.R!
When writing this post the first thing I did was look up the definition of the word ‘chair’. A chair is a seat for one person, with a support for the back. Correct. But I much prefer my own definition: Chair is Art!
And this new blog written by my fellow ‘Chair Commando’ Joel over at Blue Ant Studio is a gallery full of wonderful pieces of art from all over the web!
Joel explains “chair whore is a blog about chairs and nothing else.”
So if you aren’t a fan of chairs I advise you to avoid like the plague! However, if like me you are appreciate the art of chair design then head straight over to…. chairwhore
I am all for getting creative when it comes to recycling and this clever bookcase designed by Isabel Quiroga (NL) epitomises just that!
The tables are sawn in the middle and stacked together and I love the fact that the drawers could be used for extra storage space!
A brilliant idea!